Friends and Neighbors of Swannanoa (FANS) is grateful for all the community support we received this past year as we pursued our mission of “working for a strong and vibrant Swannanoa by encouraging active involvement, fostering community spirit, and honoring our unique history and natural heritage.” From the individuals and businesses that supported our fundraising efforts, to the many volunteers who participated in FANS’ projects and special events, we’re fortunate to be a part of such a wonderful community.
Here are just a few of the activities FANS was involved in this past year:
- Sponsored two community gardens, including a new garden that’s under development on Clover Lane;
- Hosted a huge Community Yard Sale fundraiser that brought Shoppers found lots of bargains at the Swannanoa Community Yard Sale residents together to buy and sell treasures, and swap stories;
- Published the FANS community e-newsletter with local news and Swannanoa history;
- Worked with other organizations to provide advocacy and support in connection with various community issues, including the Chemtronics Superfund site, the re-development of the old Beacon mill site, river quality and community safety.
- Donated decorated shoe boxes filled with toys and clothing to the Swannanoa Valley Christian Ministry for distribution to local children at Christmastime.
As you think about possible end-of-year donations, we ask that you consider putting FANS on your list. FANS is an all-volunteer organization, with no employees, no offices and no overhead, so 100% of your donation will be put to work right here in Swannanoa! Checks can be made payable to FANS and mailed to PO Box 697, Swannanoa, NC 28778. FANS is a 501(c)(3) organization; your donation is tax deductible.
And if you’ve made a new year’s resolution to get more involved in your community (we hope you have!), please consider volunteering some of your time with FANS. Whether you serve as a Board member, join one of our committees, volunteer in the community gardens, or help out at one of our events — we think you’ll find that being involved with FANS is a great way to meet your neighbors and give back to your community. Please contact us to learn more about volunteer opportunities.
Thank you for your support and best wishes for a happy and healthy new year!