In this 1911 photograph, a group poses in front of the Penland boarding house in Swannanoa. This elegant wood-frame structure stood on the north side of the railroad tracks in downtown Swannanoa. The house was run for a time as the “Penland Farm tourist home,” and later became known as the Jones boarding house. On June 11th of this year, a fire destroyed the building, which had been abandoned for many years. Courtesy of the Swannanoa Valley Museum and History Center.
In this recent photo, fog settles on the Warren Wilson College farm in Swannanoa. Photo courtesy of Jeff Gresko.