Take this Swannanoa trivia quiz and find out if you’re a “Swannanoa Scholar” (see correct answer by placing mouse pointer immediately after or below the question).
1. What five-time NBA All Star played basketball for Owen High School? Brad Daugherty (who retired in 1996 as the Cleveland Cavaliers all-time leading scorer and rebounder.)
2. Back in the heyday of the Beacon Mill, what did locals call the old downtown area of Swannanoa? The Station
3. What well-known Swannanoa woodcarver, born in 1900, was renowned for his life-like carvings of ducks in flight, several of which are mounted over the fireplace at the Swannanoa Library? Hardy Davidson
4. The hills around the Swannanoa Valley were once dotted with mines that produced a valuable mineral used as a glass alternative for wood-burning stoves, lamps, etc. What was the mineral? Mica
5. What four-time Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter was born in the Swannanoa Valley? Roberta Flack
Do you have a Swannanoa trivia question you’d like to submit for possible inclusion in a future newsletter edition? If so, please click here to send us an email.