Take this Swannanoa trivia quiz and find out if you’re a “Swannanoa Scholar” (see correct answer by placing mouse pointer immediately after or below the question).
1. What was the main livelihood for residents of the Swannanoa Valley in the 1800s? Farming
2. What was the name for the football team and other athletic teams at Swannanoa High School (1926 – 1954)? The Warriors
3. What Swannanoa church was the oldest established congregation west of the Blue Ridge mountains? First Presbyterian Church of Swannanoa (1794), which closed its doors last year due to dwindling attendance.
4. What is the oldest structure lived in continuously by the same family in Buncombe County? Alexander Inn on Old Highway 70 in Swannanoa – the inn served guests on the old stagecoach road beginning in 1820, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
5. What was the original name of the Swannanoa train station? The train station was called Cooper’s Station until 1895, when local citizens petitioned to have it re-named “Swannanoa,” so that the town and train station would have the same name. Cooper’s Station had also been the name of the old stagecoach stop at the Alexander Inn.
Do you have a Swannanoa trivia question you’d like to submit for possible inclusion in a future newsletter edition? If so, please click here to send us an email.